Re: Multi-tasking

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 12:30, André Wöbbeking wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 June 2006 12:15, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 June 2006 05:09, Matej Cepl wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > Is anything trying to write/read large amounts of data when this
> > happens? if so you might want to:
> > - check the settings for your harddisk (notably DMA)
> > - also which filessystem are you using? reiserfs3 has problems
> > locking up the system under high load
>
> I sometimes have this problem and thought that it's related to SATA. But
> I'm using reiserfs3. Do you've more infos about its problems under high
> load.

YMMV, I can't remember where I read the details, but the FAQ at [1] has:
Q: Why do things freeze on my IDE hard drive for annoying amounts of time
A: Because when large writes are scheduled all at once, reads can starve. A
   fix for this is evolving; the later your ReiserFS patch, the better we
   handle this.

(it's been over a year since I was using reiserfs, this problem made my
laptop completely unusable for 10minutes+ when doing e.g. svn update on the
d-i repository, i finally 'fixed' it by switching to ext3, situation might
have improved since then)

[1] http://www.namesys.com/faq.html
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)