Re: File Association Help-Application/octet Stream

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 18:12:21 -0500, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> >I did a full upgrade yesterday and did not notice any problems except
> >for a minor annoyance with the KDE wallet manager (it has to be killed
> >and restarted after you log in to work properly). I recommend using
> >apt-listbugs, but you have to keep in mind that it often lists bugs
> >which are fixed already ("<done>") in the new version that you are about
> >to install.
>
> Ok. I'll do a full upgrade or should I do a dist-upgrade(?).

You can start with a normal upgrade. This will perform all upgrades
which do not require additional installations or package removals. Then
you will see how many packages have been kept back. For these you can do
a dist-upgrade or you can install them one by one. If you are in doubt
you can use the "-s" option to see what will happen without changing
anything.

[...]

> >OK, I had a look there and I can't play the videos either. It seems to
> >be based on flash, so maybe you need the flashplayer plugin version 8
> >which is not yet available for Linux as far as I know. If you want to
> >test your flash plugin, go to www.youtube.com; you should be able to
> >play the videos on that site.
>
> I guess that means I've been beating my head against the wall trying to
> fix mplayer and the problem was flash player. Strange though, the first
> time I tried to run the vidoes a couple of months back, the error was
> this video requires "application/x-mplayer2" which I added to kde file
> associations and the message went away. That led me to believe it was an
> mplayer or mplayerplug-in issue. I visited the youtube site and was able
> to play all the vidoes I selected, some of which were very interesting, Ha.
> Ha.
> Yahoo or the news sites must have changed there video formats because I
> know I was able to play all the news videos in the past with mplayerplug-in
> as the start up said so.  Curious, how did you determine that the videos on
> Yahoo
> required flash player?

I have a flash-blocking plugin installed because I hate all the
flickering flash advertisements. On every page with embedded flash I
just see a placeholder icon which I can click if I want the flash
animation to run. On the Yahoo page I had to activate two different
flash objects before I could even see the control buttons. Another way
to check is right-click, "View Page Info > Media" which lists all
images, embedded movies etc.

One more thing: I do not know for sure if the Yahoo pages need mplayer
in addition to the flash plugin or not.

> Thanks again, for your help. I guess this is solved except for the
> application/octet stream message I keep getting.

I think this can be fixed by removing the file

~/.kde/share/mimelnk/application/octet-stream.desktop

(You can move it somewhere else so that you can restore it if the
 situation is worse without the file.)

--
Regards,
          Florian