Re: File Association Help-Application/octet Stream

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 18:39:54 -0500, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

[...]

> Strange, Moz Help About Plugins list all the installed plugin and their
> file names
> which I located and copied to my $HOME/.mozilla/plugins/ dir. The one for
> VLC multimedia plugin, libvlcplugin.so, is not in the dir nor can it be
> found using locate. Although I installed and reinstalled the
> mozilla-plugin-vlc can't find its *.so file.  Something else I should be
> doing?

Let's check some things and compare:

$ dpkg -l mozilla-plugin-vlc
||/ Name                 Version              Description
+++-====================-====================-========================================================
ii  mozilla-plugin-vlc   0.8.5.debian-2       multimedia plugin for web browsers based on VLC

$ dpkg -L mozilla-plugin-vlc | grep '\.so$'
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so
/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libvlcplugin.so

$ file /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), stripped

I never copied anything into my ~/.mozilla/plugins/ directory. If I type
"about:plugins" into mozilla's location bar, I get:

VLC multimedia plugin
File name: libvlcplugin.so
version 0.8.5 Janus

with about 20 supported audio and video MIME types listed.

Maybe you have a configuration problem in your ~/.mozilla directory.
The easiest way to check this is to create a new test user, log in as
that user and start mozilla.

> -I have no reference to a codecs file anywhere in $HOME. Looked for one
> with locate but
> couldn't find anything. Should there be one? Did find /usr/lib/win32
> with list of codecs and
> long links.
> -just reinstalled w32codecs after doing a policy check and found a newer
> version candidate.

I think that the files in /usr/lib/win32 should be enough. (I use them
with the Xine media player.)

> Haven't done an upgrade or dist-upgrade for a while( week or two)
> because of critical/grave
> bugs in kde and other wanted software.  Should I?

I did a full upgrade yesterday and did not notice any problems except
for a minor annoyance with the KDE wallet manager (it has to be killed
and restarted after you log in to work properly). I recommend using
apt-listbugs, but you have to keep in mind that it often lists bugs
which are fixed already ("<done>") in the new version that you are about
to install.

> -Just completed a reboot and restart of kde. Tried out Yahoo News media
> player again with
> same results.  The Yayoo player pops up, all the uris load followed by
> done. The fast forward
> and rewind buttons are active(blue) and the pause button is greyed out.
> The player screen is
> a greyed out blank screen. Clicking the active buttons loads all the
> uris and finishes with done
> but nothing plays.

OK, I had a look there and I can't play the videos either. It seems to
be based on flash, so maybe you need the flashplayer plugin version 8
which is not yet available for Linux as far as I know. If you want to
test your flash plugin, go to www.youtube.com; you should be able to
play the videos on that site.

--
Regards,