Re: Re: File Association Help-Application/octet Stream

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 00:11:44 -0500, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

[...]

>> > snip
> snip

I think you can just install the version from unstable and give it a
try. There are no serious bugs filed against it:

Well florian, I thought you had the soln, but didn't work for me.
<snip>

The worst thing that can happen is that it does not work, which is not really
different from your present situation. (Bug 1 does not seem to be reproducible
for everyone and in any case you don't want to use the plugin with firefox.)

Strange, Moz Help About Plugins list all the installed plugin and their file names
which I located and copied to my $HOME/.mozilla/plugins/ dir. The one for VLC multimedia plugin, libvlcplugin.so, is not in the dir nor can it be found using locate. Although I installed and reinstalled the mozilla-plugin-vlc can't find its *.so file. Something else I should be doing? Still get the application/octet stream not found error when kde starts or when I open control center. Some of the hings I've done trying to play embeded media files are:

-copied all the mplayerplug-in-*.so files I could find with "locate" to $home/.mozilla/plugins -copied various files mentioned in related man pages to $HOME/.mplayer/ dir including config input.conf mplayerplug-in.conf registry and default.sub(recommended by a deb user)
There are now a lot of zero size files in it since the vlc install.
-I have no reference to a codecs file anywhere in $HOME. Looked for one with locate but couldn't find anything. Should there be one? Did find /usr/lib/win32 with list of codecs and
long links.
-just reinstalled w32codecs after doing a policy check and found a newer version candidate. Haven't done an upgrade or dist-upgrade for a while( week or two) because of critical/grave
bugs in kde and other wanted software.  Should I?
-Just completed a reboot and restart of kde. Tried out Yahoo News media player again with same results. The Yayoo player pops up, all the uris load followed by done. The fast forward and rewind buttons are active(blue) and the pause button is greyed out. The player screen is a greyed out blank screen. Clicking the active buttons loads all the uris and finishes with done
but nothing plays.

This embedded media player thing has got me buffaloed, baffled and bewildered. Have spent a lot of time trying to get it to work. Hope the above info gives you some ideas to try. And hope
you can stay with me til its fixed.  Thanks for your help.

<snio>
[...]
> lchata@DELLXPST450:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
[ ... snip: all the commented-out lines ...]
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
<snio>
<snip>
> The honk.sigxcpu.org line is only necessary if you are on the PowerPC
> architecture ("old" Apple), otherwise www.debian-multimedia.org is
> enough. Your prompt suggests you have a Dell, so you should be fine
> without honk. In any case, the missing signing keys are here:

I didn.t know about "ppp". Thanks. I removed from sources.list
<snip>
-- Regards,
               Florian

Thanks,