Re: Openoffice menus and opensymbols fonts

Le jeudi 22 juin 2006 14:11, Florian Kulzer a écrit :
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 13:20:47 +0200, Grégoire Druant wrote:
> > Le mercredi 21 juin 2006 22:26, Rene Engelhard a écrit :
> > > Hi,

> > > and WTF do you want to use OpenSymbol as menu font?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Rene
> >
> > And why couldn't I use this font ?
>
> If you install the package "fontforge" you can have a closer look at
> the opensymbol font:
>
> fontforge /usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice/opens___.ttf
>
> and compare it to a normal font, for example if you have the package
> "ttf-bitstream-vera" installed:
>
> fontforge /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera/Vera.ttf
>
> You will see that opensymbol does not even encode anything for normal
> letters, so it is totally unsuitable as a menu font. I would guess that
> that is the reason for the rectangles: They are displayed if a character
> is not defined in the selected font.
>
> > I have allways done so and it used to work, but now it doesn't work
> > anymore in openoffice with the kde integration package. I think that's
> > weird, and weirder if you know that openoffice depends on ttf-opensymbol.
>
> Maybe the older versions of the KDE integration package had a bug and
> did not actually display the menus in the font that you selected. Now
> the bug could be fixed and you would be seeing the ugly face of
> opensymbol for the first time. Another explanation could be that KDE
> automatically switches to another font if it cannot find characters for
> "abc...", and that this mechanism is now broken in the
> openoffice.org-kde package.

Ok, thanks for your explanations.

I've set my menu fonts to "Lohit indi 11", which wasn't in the list but was
the menu font for the root account (don't ask me why root has a .kde dir).

This font look really close to opensymbol, and that work with it.

Thanks and regards