Re: problems printing with cups 1.2 [work-around]

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 15:14 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I can't get printing working from KDE since upgrading to cups 1.2.
> Apparently I'm not alone.  Someone recently posted about having a
> problem with this in sid, but I'm seeing it in testing.  See also Debian
> bug 370403 and the upstream bugs it references.  However, the Debian bug
> is closed, though the upstream issue seems unresolved.
>
> What to do?

I had some luck specifying "UNIX LPD Print System" for my printing.
This seemed to retain the printers I had already defined in CUPS and let
me print.  Naturally, some of the paper handling options I have access
to with CUPS disappeared.

I've had no luck trying to get CUPS to listen on localhost as well as
the unix domain sockets.  My CUPS printer keeps showing as
/var/run/cups/cups.sock:631

Originally my cups ports were
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock