problems printing with cups 1.2

I can't get printing working from KDE since upgrading to cups 1.2.
Apparently I'm not alone.  Someone recently posted about having a
problem with this in sid, but I'm seeing it in testing.  See also Debian
bug 370403 and the upstream bugs it references.  However, the Debian bug
is closed, though the upstream issue seems unresolved.

What to do?

I pulled in kdeprint from unstable since there were some references to
that fixing things; it didn't help for me.  Upstream CUPS has apparently
provided a temporary hack, but testing and unstable both have the same
version of cupsys.
--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 514-8146
185 Berry St #5700                               ross@biostat.ucsf.edu