KDE 3.5.2 X.org on Debian Etch Laptop

Hi!

I'm running KDE 3.5.2 with kdm on a Dell Inspiron m170 laptop running Debian etch.  I got things up and running well, and seem to like the way things are going, however there is one small thing that's pestering me.

On my laptop I have the LCD screen on the laptop, and I have an external flat panel monitor connected to the laptop. Both displays are capable of the same display rate.

What I want to do is be able to control through the function+f8 key (the key designated by dell to switch between internal and external display) if to display on the external display or the internal display.

I had it working fine, where if KDM was started, and only the external screen was selected, then I logged in, display would only remain on the external screen, and vice versa for the internal screen.

Then I made some change to the desktop theme, and now whenever KDE starts, it makes the display come on the laptop LCD, and would allow video to remain on the external LCD if it was displayed there. And I'm at a loss of ways to try and figure out how to fix this problem.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried google and searching mailing lists and haven't been able to come up with anything..

Thanks!