Re: pmount/hal/usb issue

* Robert Gomu?ka <carramba@epf.pl> [2006 May 15 13:23 -0500]:
> Hello,
> I remember a discussion some time ago here about behaviour of KDE after
> inserting e.g. USB stick. I cannot find it now and I'm not sure if this issue
> is relevant, so don't bite me in case of redundant post.
> Problem: I insert (plug) USB stick. Dialog box appears ("what to do"). I
> choose "upload pictures to digikam" (yes, those were pictures in fact).
> Then digikam cannot download the pictures. I go to /media and cannot see any
> directories under it. Then I do "pmount /dev/sda1" and digikam is happy (yes,
> previously it wanted to download pictures from the same, right location).
> Which part of customization am I missing? What should I do - report a bug or
> just set up something?

I just wrestled with this over the weekend and today.  Firstly, I
presume that your user is a member of the plugdev group?  If not, it
needs to be added.

Second, I had been unable to convince KDesktop or Konqueror that the USB
device was in fact being mounted by pmount (as the output of mount showed
and I could access the drive with Midnight Commander).  I had everything up
to date from Sid and still no joy.  This morning I installed Linux image
2.6.16 and whadda-ya-know, everything works fine.  I had been running
2.6.14 since January or so.

Since udev, dbus, and hal are involved and closely related to the
kernel, there was probably some caveat somewhere that I didn't find that
warned about this very thing.  It was strange that the device was being
mounted correctly under /media, but KDE was never getting the message.
I couldn't find any remarkable configuration between my Sid partition
and a recently installed Kanotix version from mid April 2006.

HTH,

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of