Re: Stuck in "posix"

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 11:33:16 -0400, Curt Howland wrote:
> On Thursday 04 May 2006 10:45, David Martinez Moreno was heard to say:
> > 	Wisdom lies in LC_COLLATE variable.
>
> The problem is not _what_ went wrong, the problem is in trying to
> clear it.
>
> I'm in the midst of everything equalling "POSIX"
> ============
> $ locale
> LANG=
> LANGUAGE=en_US:en_GB:en
> LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
> LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
> LC_TIME="POSIX"
> LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
> LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
> LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
> LC_PAPER="POSIX"
> LC_NAME="POSIX"
> LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
> LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
> LC_ALL=
> now I'm asking for real.

I think "POSIX" is the default if you don't set anything yourself.

For konsole and the virtual terminals you can put your settings in
~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_aliases (if you have the normal ~/.bashrc which
sources ~/.bash_aliases if it exists). For example:

export LANG="en_US"
export LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
export LC_TIME="en_GB"
export LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
export LC_PAPER="de_DE"

Exporting LANG like that sets everything to "en_US" and then you can
fine-tune other settings if desired. (Here is the point where we can
start an off-topic thread about the merits of 24h time, day-month-year
dates, A4 paper size, etc.)

For all KDE applications which you don't start from konsole you can put
the same things in any executable file in ~/.kde/env which ends in
".sh". (You might have to create the directory and a suitable file.)

(I hope I did not totally misunderstand your question...)

--
Regards,
          Florian