Re: kde, udev, hal and friends...

Christian Schuerer wrote:

> On Monday 01 May 2006 15:10, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> > This way the primary name of the device will be its normal kernel name,
>> > but you will always get /dev/my_music pointing to the right /dev entry.
>>
>> Of course, if you have volume labels on the partitions, they will be
>> automatically mounted at /media/<label> - we don't _have_ to modify
>> udev :-)
>
> Why should it be mounted automatically? Udev doesn't mount, it just
> creates the device nodes

Where do you figure that?  Every time I install a USB storage device it's
automatically mounted, and yes, it's mounted at /media/<label> (provided a
partition label exists).  Why _shouldn't_ udev mount?  Hotplug could, and
udev replaces it.  Non-removable storage is not automatically mounted
(though it could be if you wanted it), but removables are handled
differently.
--
derek