Video under Linux - mess and frustration

My few cents...

Playing video under Linux is a frustrating experience. There is a bunch of players available - mplayer, Kaffeine, KPlayer, KMPlayer, Xine, Totem, Kaboodle, Noatun ...

Each of them has its own problems: some support subtitles, some crash on some files, some freeze on seeking, some fail to produce sound, some suport some codecs, some require this framework to play some files, some work good with w32codecs some not ...

There is an even larger pile of multimedia frameworks and audio/video sinks: alsa, oss, arts, gstreamer08/10, xine, xv, .... blah blah.

Some codecs/players need this sink, some need another to play particluar video/sound, some have terrible fonts, some need magic to be able to place subtitles to black band, some need manual configuration of cryptic config files ...

At the end of the day one finds himself using one player/frameork/sink for AVI from digital camera, another one for divX movies and another one for WMV streams because no single player player/framework/sink can play/sound/subtitle them all.

---------

My suggestion is: Let us create ONE fully featured media player with ONE multimedia backend/framework. Let this player be part of the KDE/Gnome project to prevent orphaning and underdevelopment (like Kaffeine). Let there be no or very limited configuration choices concerning frameworks/sinks/blaaaah... otherwise it will never work.