Re: Korganizer's printed calendars do not fit on a page

Thursday, 16 March 2006 22:32, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> On Thursday 16 March 2006 15:06, Alex Nordstrom wrote:
> > No, bugs in Debian should be reported through the Debian BTS. That,
> > incidentally, is what it's there for.
>
> BUT it's a lot more efficient al around for the user to file upstream
> bugs upstream in the first place:
> - it facilitates direct communication, having discussions through a
>   middleman is usually not constructive to having things fixed (and
> will surely slow things down)

That's one way of looking at it. The other way to look at it is that
package maintainers generally have a better understanding than users of
what information upstream maintainers look for in bug reports. They'll
also have communicated with upstream in the past, which often means
they have better rapport with them.

> Filing obviously
> non-debian-specific bugs upstream instead of debian BTS is a
> relatively easy way for ordinary users to make things easy on the
> debian-kde team, leaving them more time to work on Debian specific
> bugs (which improves things for everyone).

How does one tell what is an "obviously non-Debian-specific bug"? Users
rarely know which changes package maintainers make, and hardly ever
have the means to get a picture of what impact those changes have.

For example, in the issue in question here, without looking at the code,
I can't say for sure that the problem isn't caused by, say, a
configuration file holding the default printing time span that's not
where it's supposed to be because the package maintainers changed its
location.

> Exactly why do you have a problem with the _suggestion_ of filing
> bugs like this upstream?

Mainly because the suggestion neglected to mention that this is an
ad-hoc workaround, not the way things *ought* to work. This thread has
now brought out a more complete picture of the situation, which I think
is good.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/