Very annoying bug in Xorg

Dear all,

I do have to do a lot of presentations. I'm using plain sid (xorg 6.9)
I have a Radeon R250 Lf. Now there is a bug in Xorg and it is impossible to
switch on the external VGA connection via the Fn+Fx keys. The only thing
feasible is to constantly switch on the second monitor (welcome battery) by
having the options
        Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS, CRT"
        Option "Clone" "true"
        Option      "CloneRefresh" "60"

Now there is a reported bug somewhere in the debian bug-tracking with no end,
but has anyone of you managed to get a workaround? I'm really looking for
tips and perhaps the right person to complain and insist on importance of
this bug ;)

Thanks for feedback and sorry that it's a bit off topic.. (I know)

Best,

Rigo