Re: new KDE login does not work

On Saturday 04 March 2006 2:22 pm, eberhard.v.kitzing@arcor.de wrote:

> after a huge update two weeks ago I can no longer login using the KDE login
> screen when kdm starts immediately. When I type any character, the Dialog
> window shortly freezes, but the character does not appear on the dialog.
> Simply typing blindly does not work. It is a kde or kdm problem. Using
> simple text mode I can login. However, if I start in text mode and then
> start kdm, it works as usual.

Are you sure the dialog is really freezing?

What I've seen is KDM is working, graphically.  You can mouse around, click on
icons, etc., but you can't type your password.  Everything is working
normally except you can't log in because you can't type your password.

I have wrestled with this phenomenon I've described off an on for some time.
The problem is that KDM is on one virtual terminal, but the keyboard is
attached to another one (I think tty2 for some reason.)  You can't even
switch virtual desktops in this situation, because nothing hears the
Ctrl+Alt+Fx.  The only thing to do is ssh in from somewhere else and kill
KDM.  Restarting it, it works normally.

For months I just chmod -x /etc/init.d/kdm to prevent getting into this
predicament.  I did solve it once, which is why I remember what the root
cause of the trouble was, but I don't remember how I fixed it, and I have no
idea how I wound back up at that same spot again later on.

I don't see this now that I've done a clean install, and KDM is at least
temporarily working normally again.

Sorry if none of this was helpful.

--
D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>