Re: kpowersave regression

Rigo Wenning schrieb:
> Dear all,
>
> beforehand I had KDE 3.5.0-3 in sid and everything worked smoothly. For some
> unimportant program, I made an update (please smile now!) and inevitably got
> KDE 3.5.1 and a new version of the debian 2.6.15 kernel.
>
> I don't complain about the kernel here (will re-install my own), but
> kpowersave complains that it can't connect to powersaved. Consequently, the
> menus in kpowersave are not shown.
>
> Hint:
> On failing to connect to powersaved, it suggests to do a "start rcpowersaved",
> so it is fully in SUSE architecture and I guess some hardwired path or name
> is going wrong. Perhaps kpowersave looks for rcpowersaved and in debian it is
> powersaved... anyway, it doesn't work anymore.

First check if powersaved, hal and dbus are running. After that, make
sure you add the user, who wants to access dbus to the group plugdev[1]
(as described in /usr/share/doc/powersaved/README.Debian). With the
upgrade of powersave access control is now handled by dbus and makes
this step necessary.

Cheers,
Michael

[1] This is subject to change. Future versions of powersave will use the
more adequate group "powerdev" for this.

universe are pointed away from Earth?