Re: Data Organizing Program? [OT?]

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 04:12 pm, Johannes Graumann wrote:

[...]
> I'm looking for program to organize my (research) data. What I'm imagining
> is something that would allow me to create a (file system like) tree
> structure with Projects on the top level, follwed one level deeper by
> subprojects (in my case: experiments or publications). In my dream app ;0)
> there would be required fields with any one of these elements (which should
> be freely configurable as to what content (data) type is required,
> permissible, prohibited for any given object), e.g.:
> - a required "motivation" field associated with each project
> - a required "synopsis" field associated with a publication (which would
> have to hold also a pointer to a pdf) ...
>
> All of this should be searchable and arrangeable by date, data type and be
> easily amendable with new data-objects and hierarchy levels ... enough
> request yet?
 [...]

BasKet is the nearest thing I've seen to this in KDE:

http://basket.kde.org/

Unfortunately it's not available in testing right now, so you'd have to go
unstable (or source) to get the latest version. The stable version lacks some
of the features you are after, like the tree structure.

Hope this helps,

John