Data Organizing Program? [OT?]

Hello,

I have a question which probably is off topic, but KDE is all about nice
GUIng, so I hope somebody might have some nice pointers for me.

I'm looking for program to organize my (research) data. What I'm imagining
is something that would allow me to create a (file system like) tree
structure with Projects on the top level, follwed one level deeper by
subprojects (in my case: experiments or publications). In my dream app ;0)
there would be required fields with any one of these elements (which should
be freely configurable as to what content (data) type is required,
permissible, prohibited for any given object), e.g.:
- a required "motivation" field associated with each project
- a required "synopsis" field associated with a publication (which would
have to hold also a pointer to a pdf) ...

All of this should be searchable and arrangeable by date, data type and be
easily amendable with new data-objects and hierarchy levels ... enough
request yet?

Maybe this is all intelligible, but googling hasn't turned up anything so
far and I was wondering whether anybody had had the idea or came across a
freeware solution ...

Thanks, Joh