Re: The shell appears when opening KDE or Gnome

2005/12/23, Matej Cepl <ceplm@seznam.cz>:
> Looks like some leftover from previous running of Linux -- do you have
> some .xsessionrc or something like that floating around?
>
> Matej

I searched manually in some directories (like /etc, /etc/X11) and have
not found anything. I know it's a hidden file, so I used ls -a. I also
tried to do a search using Gnome's search tool, and found no sign of
this file.

Do you have a tip for me on how to search for it?

Let me tell you more details about the problem. I just installed
Debian here when found that Gnome and KDE was giving to me only two
possible resolutions for my monitor (640x480 and also 800x600). I may
have missed something during the installation. My monitor is a LG
Flatron 17" and my video card is a ATI Radeon 9600, so it's quite able
to display at higher resolutions. To shorten the history, I ended up
deleting some configuration files that I thought they were useless (as
expected from a newbie like me :-). The files were:

/etc/X11/XF86Config~
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4~

Only /etc/X11/XF86Config survived my furious attack. From that time
on, my xwindow system worked not anymore. Then I tried to fix things
using xfree86-configure. After some struggling and searching on the
net, I found that /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 is the one xwindow uses to
configure the system, then I put it on its place again. So things got
(almost) working again and higher resolutions became available from
Gnome configuration. But now the desktop works only in secure mode.
That shell window appears when log on normal mode, both in Gnome and
KDE.

I think I wrote here a good history :-)

Célio Cidral Jr