fonts in msttcorefonts appear blank

Hi -

I've just done:
  apt-get install msttcorefonts
and the fonts seemed to install fine. The fonts are being served by xfstt, and
  $ xlsfonts | grep msttcorefonts
lists all the -msttcorefonts-blah-

But in xfontsel, the window pane that normally shows the font symbols appears blank! Likewise, in
  $ xterm  -fn '-msttcorefonts-courier \
                  new-bold-r-normal-bold-0-0-0-0-m-0-iso8859-'
the cursor moves when I tap the keyboard but I don't see any characters.

Any ideas on how to debug this? Do I need to do some additonal configuration after installing msttcorefonts?

Leni.