Re: sound support under KDE

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 17:14, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Can anybody explain me the mess I feel I am in? There is arts, gstreamer,
> xine, mplayer, flac, jack, alsa, and I am sure I forgot something which is
> used for sound playing on KDE. I understand that some of these are more
> like hardware drivers (ALSA -- although there is alsaplayer) and some more
> manipulating more sophisticated high-level stuff (xine, mplayer), but still
> there seems to be too much stuff going around. I am currently mostly on
> arts/xine with stuff from testing (and now sid with new KDE), but I know
> that things are gradually moving towards gstreamer. So I would like to
> switch, but I am totally confused about what to do. So here are my
> questions:

I'd say if you have a working setup, you can safely stay with it until KDE4 is
released.

> 1) Are they? I mean is arts dead or going to die soon?

aRts is AFAIK no longer actively maintained or developed, but will be part of
KDE3 due to compatability reasons.
It will likely not be part of KDE4 unless it is part of a KDE3 compatability
layer/library.

> 2) Control Center's sound system tab is just for arts, right? Is there (is
> there going to be) some equivalent for gstreamer? Where to get it?

This section is for KDE's audio system, i.e. how sounds are produced for
example in notifications. This is tied to aRts (unless you configure an
external player) there is no direct usage of other decoder frameworks
implemented., thus no configuration page in a default installation.

It might be possible that control center modules for other sound systems are
available as third party projects.

> 3) Any other suggestions what is the most simple working set of tools (both
> for collection of tracks from my CDs as well as for playing radio streams
> over the Internet) with packages from the main Debian repository?

I guess this is a matter of taste.
I use mplayer (not in main repository IIRC) for most playing needs, configured
with arts as the audio driver/sink (-ao arts)

Cheers,
Kevin