kdm resets on login

Salutations,

After making the jump and upgrading to KDE 3.4.2, I cannot login
through KDM anymore.
The kdm login screen disappears, then I wait a few seconds for the kde
splash to appear, then X resets, and back to the login screen. This
happens whichever session I choose (of KDE, Larswm, or failsafe).

Starting a session through startx from a console works, however, and
brings me to KDE (btw: oooh shiny! ahem).

Of course, I tweaked the config file, and purged and reinstalled KDM,
all to no avail.

I've rummaged through some logs I could think of, without very
interesting results:

'tail -n 200 /var/log/syslog |grep kdm' gives me uninteresting information:
Sep  1 16:13:11 localhost kdm_greet[4432]: Can't open default user face
Sep  1 22:32:17 localhost kdm_greet[6547]: Can't open default user face
Sep  1 22:32:34 localhost kdm_greet[6614]: Can't open default user face
and auth.log gives:
Sep  1 22:32:25 localhost kdm: :0[6534]: (pam_unix) session opened for
user john by (uid=0)
Sep  1 22:32:31 localhost kdm: :0[6534]: (pam_unix) session closed for user john

in kdm.log, I have this:
(...)
QImage::convertDepth: Image is a null image
QImage::smoothScale: Image is a null image
Could not init font path element tcp/localhost:7110, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo, removing from list!
QImage::convertDepth: Image is a null image
QImage::smoothScale: Image is a null image
AUDIT: Thu Sep  1 22:35:48 2005: 6533 X: client 4 rejected from local host
  Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1

I don't worry about the QImage stuff, though the last two lines do intrigue me.

Xorg.0.log[.old] have nothing unusual that I notice...

Does anybody have any pointers on how to fix this, or, failing that,
where to search for some more useful information in debugging why
launching my session with KDM fails?

John