slow loading &panel goes blank

hi all,

my first post. i have checked the archives for the
past couple months and still need some help.

i'm running kde3.3.2 on a pentium4 with 1 gig of ram.
debian distro and kernel-2.6.12-1-686. ( these
problems have happened on previous kernels.)

when first logging in after a restart, and placing my
password and choosing kde, the system brings up the
logo, and it gets to "starting services", then stops
for a long period of time. as i wait it out, the
screen goes blank and after another long time, music
plays telling me its loading, then another long wait
and the desktop comes up.
all told its about 15 mins.

2nd problem. after i have my desktop up, i move the
cursor to the kde logo on the panel(looking for other
applications) when i click, the logo goes to a lighter
color, but the mouse still works, but the panel is
frozen. in right clicking the mouse, i can refresh the
panel, as i do that, the panel goes blank and is
outlined in grey. after about 10 mins the panel comes
back on its own and the session can go on without
further problems.

the only thing execptioal in my XFreelog  is :

(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or
directory)

(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??)
unknown.

your suggestions will be appricated.

Edward M dunagin
714 sanders ave