Kde-KNotify Problem

Background-After an apt-get dist-upgrade from woody to sarge-stable
encountered many dependency issues.
Xserver-xfree86, kdm and many others were not installed.  Ater manually
installing xserver-xfree86, kdm and the
kde package files and getting X started, I've these unresolved issues:

I can login to kde with 18-20 KNotify messages popping up and if I
select and click OK on the notification popup or
try to close out ktips, the system freezes up or at best operates in
super slow motion before anything I select will
initiate any action.  I actually timed how long it takes something to
activate and it's two minutes minimum.  Once I'm in the superslow motion
state, kde quickly stops working and I'm left with init.d/kdm to restart
things.  I've learned to
work around this annoying issue by just not selecting the knotify
messages or not closing the ktip box.  I can run my Mozilla browser and
mail client that way but its not something I can live with
indefinately.  There also are 8 blue gear shaped icons in the panel
which wont do anything when selected or clicked.  Still haven't seen
what the first KNotify message says.  Searched for knotify at Debian and
googled with many hits but none are exactly the same as my situation.
I've tried some suggested solutions and none have helped or changed
anything in any way.

I would most appreciate any explanation of what's happened here and how
I might fix it.  As a newbie, I'm at the limit
of my debugging ability and need some help to proceed.  Thanks in
advance for your consideration.

Leonard Chatagnier

PS-If its not too much trouble, copy my email address as I'm not
subscribed and replying to any posts are easier than from a web viewing
of the lists.  Thanks