kwin and emacs

Hi,

I've been using/testing the 3.4.0/3.4.1 packages from
pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org.   I'm seeing a problem with kwin and emacs, but
I don't know how to determine which package is responsible, so I have not
yet filed a bug.  I'm asking for some tips to help track down the problem.

Package details:

  kwin           3.4.1-1    the KDE window manager
  kdesktop       3.4.1-1    miscellaneous binaries and files for the KDE
  kicker         3.4.1-1    desktop panel for KD
  emacs21        21.4a-1    The GNU Emacs editor
  emacs21-bin-co 21.4a-1    The GNU Emacs editor's shared, architecture
  emacs21-common 21.4a-1    The GNU Emacs editor's shared, architecture
  emacsen-common 1.4.16     Common facilities for all emacsen
  xfree86-common 4.3.0.dfsg.1-1 X Window System (XFree86) infrastructure
  xserver-xfree8 4.3.0.dfsg.1-1 the XFree86 X server

Symptoms:

When I shade an emacs window, the cpu% for XF86, kwin, kicker, kdesktop,
and emacs climb through the root, with XF86 generally taking the largest
percentage.  When the emacs window is unshaded, it is not restored to it's
full height and the cpu% usage for all processes stays high.  Sometimes,
but not always, resizing the emacs window will solve the problem until the
next shade operation.

Attempts at deducing the problem:

 * I killed kwin and started blackbox.  Shading the emacs window no
   longer causes xf86, kicker, kdesktop, or emacs to consume
   a high percentage of cpu.
 * I removed all extra emacs packages, reducing emacs to only the
   required packages.  The problem still occurs.

Is this a known problem?  If not, does anyone have suggestions on how I
should track down the problem?

Thanks,

  Michael