Re: Konqueror (in file manager) doesn't automatically refresh file list and stats.

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 09:07 am, Andrew Kovacs wrote:

> if I view a directory in Konqueror that contains a file being downloaded,
> Konqueror shows no changes.  If I dual-boot into my old Mandrake 10.0
> system and do the same thing, it shows every .1Mb increment in the file
> size during the download.  As if in real-time.

OK, I have 3.4 from Alioth too.  I tried this test.  Browser looking at
~/Desktop where Time Machine is recording a .wav file.  Changing views does
not trigger an update of the size.  The only way to trigger such an update is
to look somewhere else and then come back here, at which point I get a new
snapshot of the ever-growing size.

I'd be looking at other things then.  Mandrake isn't Debian.  Mandrake does
lots of hacky, custom things (like automount, for example.)  So does Ubuntu,
for example, or any of several dozen other distros across the board.  I'd say
if this isn't some KDE version thing then it's probably some little hack that
Mandrake does and Debian doesn't.

famd says it detects changes in the file.  Does changing the size constitute a
"change" in the file to famd?  I have no idea, and I'm not bored enough to go
get the source and try to figure out the answer to that question.

If you really want to make Debian behave the same as Mandrake in this respect,
I'd say you've got yourself a bonafine adventure on your hands.  I can't
imagine that it could possibly be worth the effort, but to each his own hack,
I say.  If this floats your boat, dig in.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/