Re: New font defaults for new users - feedback wanted!

Am Donnerstag 28 April 2005 02:43 schrieb Christopher Martin:
> On April 21, 2005 09:00, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > as I am experimenting with Kolab using a few newly created users I
> > find that these new font defaults are really rather small on my IBM
> > ThinkPad T23 with 14 inch display.

> I believe that if the X server is fixed to fall back to a more sensible
> value than 75 dpi, then the problem would largely go away, since few
> people actually run their monitor at a resolution that yields such a
> dpi. For instance, your 14" monitor at 1024x768 has a real dpi of about
> 92. If auto-detection doesn't work for you, but X fell back to 96 dpi
> or 100 dpi, your font sizes would be fine.

Hello Christopher,

I believe so, too. As I added a DisplaySize parameter, currently using a
Acer Travelmate 800 with 15 inch display as replacement for my T23 that
is repaired right now (display defects), a font size of 12 pixels was to
big again so I switched back to 10 pixels.

I think it makes sense to go with your defaults then and use the
DisplaySize parameter when auto detection does not work. Would be nice
when  the debconf script for xserver-xfree86 (and xserver-xorg) gives the
oppurtunity to input the size of the display when autodetections gives no
sensible results. So it should try autodetection tell the results to the
user and let him override it.

> I've brought the matter to the attention of the X maintainers [1], but
> haven't received any response as of yet. Rest assured, though, that I
> will continue to evaluate the situation - post-Sarge, the issue may be
> fixed, and recall that the Alioth packages, though available now, are
> really aimed at the post-Sarge world.

Yes, I know. Alioth is post-sarge as is the xorg packages I use. But I
think my problem is neither related to using KDE 3.4 or x.org. It would
have happened with XFree86 4.3.0 and KDE 3.3 as well I believe.

It would be good however to have at least a more sensible default as 75
dpi for sarge. I think 96 or 100 dpi as you suggest would be a good
default.

For post-sarge at least the configuration script for the X server should
support setting the DisplaySize in case auto detection gives no sensible
results.

Regards,