crappy widget fonts (KDE? QT?) after upgrade

(I posted this on debian-users but this group may be more appropriate)

My specific question:
Has anyone else seen their KDE widget fonts turn to crap in the last 10 days?

I'm running Sid (KDE 3.3.2) and somewhere after a recent general package
upgrade my KDE fonts degraded.  I can adjust kmail, konsole, etc but all the
KDE menu widgets (pulldowns, text boxes, etc) are horked as well.

The characters have uneven weight, so that the right side can be considerably
darker than the left.  It's still legible but butt ugly.

tia,
longtimenoob