Re: New font defaults for new users - feedback wanted!

On April 8, 2005 13:09, you wrote:
> Am Freitag, 8. April 2005 18:16 schrieb Christopher Martin:
> > Excellent reading on this whole subject can be found at:
> > http://scanline.ca/dpi/
>
> He explains some but definitely with the wrong conclusion because he
> mixes up totally different problems and then he thinks he has to solve
> that with a fixed DPI value. But that's just "a bad hack"(tm).

Could you explain this further? Note that he very clearly wants to keep the
"default font dpi" separate from the "real dpi", so that apps that need to
know such things can still be properly calibrated.

I don't see such a proposal as a bad hack at all - it matches the reality of
how our GUIs work (i.e. widgets, icons, etc. are not completely flexible in
their sizing), at least until everthing is turned into vectors (hopefully
in the next few years...).

Cheers,
Christopher Martin