Re: New font defaults for new users - feedback wanted!

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 22:45, Paul wrote:
> Paul wrote:
> > As far as I know, I've never found a way to set dpi in KDE .. my
> > monitor is supposed to run at 81 dpi, but I'm not sure what KDE is
> > using.  How can I tell what it is, and how to adjust it in KDE?

If you run KDM, see /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers

There will be a line like:

:0 local@tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp

Substitute 100 with 81 for your monitor.

If you use XDM, the file to look at is /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers

As pointed out elsewhere, also ensure that the DisplaySize line in the
Monitor section of your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or other relevant X
configuration file is consistent with this, if it exists.

Do note that some applications, like Mozilla Firefox, do not honour this
value but have internal options to set DPI.

> > I just have a personal preference of sans over serif fonts, so I
> > always change them during my initial setup.  For my monitor/driver,
> > the Bitstream Vera Fonts always turn out better than any other.
> > So, your change is fine with me, albeit I change to sans.

My personal preference by far would be the fonts of the ttf-freefont
package, particularly FreeSans. I'm not sure whether or not they meet
the qualifications for universal adoption as defaults, though. Can
anyone provide insight?

> Ooops, I sent this to the user instead of list by mistake .. I wish
> T'bird would fix this.  Here's the list version.

Thunderbird is simply obeying the Reply-To header of the message to
which you replied. People should not exclude the list in their Reply-To
headers.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/