Re: New font defaults for new users - feedback wanted!

Am Freitag, 8. April 2005 16:44 schrieb Bastian Venthur:
> But i *think* kde itself is kind of optimized to 75dpi (the icons on the
> desktop are a good example), therefore i think it would be the best to
> assume the average user works under 75dpi. (I'm not shure about this point
> but every live-cd I've tested works with 75dpi no matter wich display I
> use).

You are plain wrong about this. KDE is not optimized for any DPI value,
properly programmed applications can handle any DPI value (and almost all KDE
application can).

> BTW I think it's pretty annoying (to be least offending ;) -- that there is
> still a difference in the dpi-setting if you're starting via kdm or manualy
> via startx. There is no question asked in the installation of xserver or
> kdm where you could set you dpi. I know, kinda OT but this dpi-issue is one
> you hear kinda often in debian.user.$language.

Yes, the -dpi setting actually belong to the configuration file of the X
server. Sadly, setting this up is not easy for CRTs but only for TFTs.
Probably many monitors are closer to 75dpi than to 100dpi.
But if that makes to you happier: users of other system mostly don't even know
that such a setting even exists ;)

HS