Re: kde 3.4 in sid

El Lunes, 4 de Abril de 2005 23:09, David Pastern escribió:
> And x.org has been out for a year now.  If it had been introduced a year

But Sarge should have been released a year ago, more or less. Changing from
XFree86 to XOrg is absolutely not a trivial change. Just try to compile and
make work XOrg on one of the not so common architechtures.

> ago, it'd have all (or near all) of the dependency problems and build
> problems most probably sorted out by now.  If Ubuntu can do it, why
> can't Debian is the question that many people, including myself are
> silently asking.  Debian is about the only distro to release with the

I was wondering this question myself, but don't tell us that if you don't like
the answer, is a wrong answer.

The complexity of Debian, in terms of quality and size, is many times
forgotten.

> old xfree86 X windowing system.  People are expecting xorg and many
> won't be impressed and will look to other distros.  Debian seems to be
> more and more a distro for developers, than the users, and this isn't
> good.

http://www.debian.org/social_contract

See number 4.

How to serve the users, is (yes, again) something complex, and there are lots
of opinions about it. If you have got good ideas about a release cycle well
suited for desktop users, and for servers sysadmins, please, speak. Some
release proposals are in the debian wiki.

> > the real problem is not that sarge won't ship kde 3.4 or x.org, but that
> > sarge isn't out *yet*.
>
> I will say no more, because it will offend people, and i've already been
> told to shut my mouth because it doesn't conform to what the Debian
> developers want to hear.  Tough shit.

If someone told you to shut up, is because Debian developers can be offended
when you say things without considering *all* the facts, not just the ones
you are interested in.

> Proud Libranet GNU/Linux user
> Libranet The TOP Libranet distribution
> http://www.libranet.com/
> Download your free trial of Libranet 2.8.1 today!

If you are so proud of libranet, why do you care about Debian? Or the problem
is that Libranet is Debian based, and not the opposite?

Disclaimer: I am NOT a Debian developer, so I'm not personally offended by
your words. However, they can be offensive to people who work very tough in
Debian, and just as volunteers.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
http://darkshines.net/ - Jabber ID: suy@bulmalug.net