Re: kde-devel uninstallable in sarge

* Noah Meyerhans [Mon, 04 Apr 2005 15:52:27 -0400]:
> kde-devel is currently uninstallable in sarge due to kbugbuster
> depending on a non-existant libkcal2 package.

> Perhaps I missed something, but wasn't testing supposed to protect us
> against this?

  Yes.

> How did a package whose dependencies were unfulfillable
> propagate into testing?

  Because it was forced in, for other reasons. Nor I, nor the RMs,
  catched the issue, otherwise we would've acted differently (at least I
  would've).

* Noah Meyerhans [Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:19:07 -0400]:

> Should packages be removed from the archive while there are still other
> packages depending on them?

  Not in testing, no (already explained why it did). Sometimes in
  unstable.

> We're supposed to be releasing sarge at
> some point, right?  Doesn't the removal of a dependency move us a step
> in the wrong direction?  Now we have to wait until the next version of
> KDE propagates to testing (and hope it doesn't introduce any new RC
> bugs!)

  Well, all this updates are 3.3.2 revisions, so it should be safe.
  I apologize for the inconvenience. kdesdk 3.3.2-3 has been built on
  arm today, and should migrate to testing today or tomorrow, so is not
  big trouble.

  Thanks for understanding,

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the
dictionary.
                -- William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)