Re: crashes and hangs in KDE 3.4

> On Monday 28 March 2005 14:55, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > > Did you try using KDE 3.4 with a freshly created KDE configuration
> > > (move .kde directory out of the way and let it create a new one)? What
> > > Debian version do you use? I use mostly Sarge with some parts of Sid.
> >
> > Yes, indeed.  I always do that with a new point release of KDE: move
> > .kde out of the way, start fresh, and then start customizing.
>
> That is very dangerous.  For instance, in the new versions of kmail I think
> your mail is stored in here.  If you delete it, you will delete all your
> mail.
>
> Similarly, all your bookmarks are also stored in here.  Delete it, and all
> your cherished heirarchy of bookmarks disappears.  [I know, I did it]

I didn't say delete, I said move aside, as in 'mv .kde .kde.3.3' .  Your
point is well taken that there's valuable information in .kde, such as
bookmarks, kopete contact lists, and so on.  After starting fresh with
an empty config and then recustomizing it, I then reimport the data I
need one application at a time from .kde.3.3 into kde.  It's tedious,
but to me worth it in order to start with a clean slate.

In the case of kmail, I moved my mail out of .kde into .mail, by
modifying kmailrc-- can't remember the details now, but it's in the
kmail FAQ.