Re: kdm 3.4.0-0pre2 and zsh : unable to log in

On March 24, 2005 13:44, Christopher Martin wrote:
> On March 24, 2005 11:26, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > * Christopher Martin [Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:23:11 -0500]:
> > > The problem seems to be that I re-added the sourcing of shell config
> > > files in KDE 3.4.
> >
> >   There is [1] too.
> >
> >     [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-qt-kde/2005/03/msg00149.html
>
> Ah, thanks for reminding me. However, I commented out the new shell
> sourcing lines from Xsession, and the problem remained, so we'll have to
> look elsewhere. The sessreg patches calc wrote might be a good start,
> since they may no longer work properly in 3.4, but that's just a guess.

And indeed, kdm now contains its own internal sessreg routines, so users
were being registered/unregistered twice.

Question is - how to fix? Disable the internal sessreg, and continue using
our own? That's the easiest option, since we just have to change an option
in kdmrc, but if we do it by modifying kdmrc, then users who don't update
that file will still have the problem. Of course, yanking out our own
sessreg patches mean that any user that doesn't update Xstartup and Xreset
will also still be affected.

I'd rather modify one conffile than two, and the fix is simpler, so I'll
proceed with my first suggestion unless anyone can think of a good reason
to do otherwise :)

Cheers,
Christopher Martin