Re: winkey (tuxkey) for launching k-menu problem

Paul wrote:
Christopher Martin wrote:

On March 18, 2005 13:50, Robert Lindgren wrote:

Hi,

Since I upgraded to kde 3.4.0 it's not possible to launch the K-menu with the win key any longer. Alt-F1 works but for some reason I've gotten used
to use the winkey. Is it possible to get it back somehow?

Cheers
/Robert

Last I heard, this functionality was ripped out of KDE as part of the kicker overhaul. I miss it as well, but it was apparently a monster hack, and caused various problems. Perhaps it will be re-implemented in the future, of course, but I haven't heard of any plans...

Cheers,
Christopher Martin

Yes, I also like to use the key board to maneuver through menus, and got used to the Win key to launch the menu. I spent a bunch of time playing with keyboard types and keyboard shortcuts, and never have been able to get it working in 3.4. You're probably right that it's gone for good. I did notice that I could configure the keyboard shortcuts to use the "menu" key (by itself) to popup the main menu. This is not as good as the Win key, but maybe usable. I wonder why they can configure a single keystroke of the "menu" key, but not the Win key by itself? :(

Paul

Hey, I finally found success in configuring this. Use the Control Center => Regional & Accessibility => Keyboard Layout => Xkb Options to "Enable xkb options" and "Third Level Choosers" "Press any of the Winkeys to choose 3rd level" and hit "Apply". Then, go to "Keyboard Shortcuts" => Global Shortcuts and under "Panel" "Popup Launch Menu" choose customize and just hit the "Win" key. On mine, it labels it "ISO_Level3_Shift", instead of "Win" key. Now, hit "Apply" in the lower right corner.

I don't use the "Win" keys for anything else, so it doesn't matter to me that they are now mapped to "ISO_Level3_Shift", whatever that means.

Paul