KDE and MIDI: Is it possible at all?????

Yo!

Status quo: KDE from unstable (mostly - some bits from testing might be
surviving).  Sound playback (mp3/ogg/...) is working (ALSA on a EMU 10k1
a.k.a SB Live!).

kmid crashes ("Couldn't allocate queueCouldn't allocate queueCouldn't
allocate queueCouldn't allocate queueCouldn't allocate queueCouldn't
allocate queueCouldn't allocate queueCouldn't allocate queueCouldn't
allocate queueAlsaOut::eventInit : no source
KCrash: Application 'kmid' crashing...
" on the console as soon as I press play)

rosengarden4/unstable pretends to be playing, but no output appears whatever
I do (but since rosengarden is quite complex, I guess getting a working
kmid should be easier to fix.)

Goal: obviously, I want to play MIDI files.
Also: I want to hook my MIDI keyboard to the computer (master keyboard, no
synth, so it will only generate MIDI events and send them to the computer.)
But I'll not even try that until the first goal is reached.

I don't even know where to start looking - I tried google with things like
'KDE' and 'MIDI', but found nothing obvious.

thanks in advance (and yes, I read this list, I'll see your answers without
cc:)
-- vbi

--
Beware of the FUD - know your enemies. This week
    * Patent Law, and how it is currently abused. *