Re: Where do i get 3.4?

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 21:17, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Alex. V. Bogdanov [Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:05:29 +0300]:
>   It'll be a while, we have to stick to 3.3.2 in sid to fix the latest
>   issues for sarge. At most, we could use experimental, but unless
>   somebody express their preference for that, we prefer to use Alioth.

if there's anything that will have to move through the new queue, it's IMO
preferable to use experimental (as that'll mean the wait for that will
happen on entry to experimental, not on entry to unstable)

Other reasons to use experimental instead of alioth:
- alioth isn't meant as a package distribution medium while experimental is.
  And as mentioned by the alioth admins(in the ongoing thread on devel, in
  the context of the amd64using alioth that way) this puts a large strain on
  alioth
   => I dare say the kde 3.4 packages are both numerous and popular enough
          to make this an issue (kudos to the package team :)
- the whole reason for the existence of experimental is to have 1 place
  where people can find official packages that for some reason can't go into
  unstable yet (testing-migration, release-related, still work in progress,
  alpha/beta software versions, ...)
  pkg-kde on alioth is probably known among readers of debian-kde, but
  likely unknown to debian users at large
   => more people will find the packages when they're in experimental me
          thinks
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)