Re: What's the best way to safely remove kde apps?

On Monday 21 February 2005 11:32, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Am Montag, 21. Februar 2005 14:30 schrieb Derek Broughton:
> > I tried [aptitude] once and discovered it also
> > ignores my package holds).
> >
> > But for the purposes of the OP, if you want to get rid of, e.g., kteatime
> > but keep kmoon, you _have_ to remove the metapackage kdetoys.
>
> Please, please read the aptitude integrated help and discover what 'm' and
> 'M' can do for you.

I did actually figure out what they did - but it was too late when it had
already ignored my holds via dpkg.

> What you describe is a bug, not a feature:

Perhaps.  It should, in any case, attempt to maintain compatibility with dpkg.

> if anything in the meta package
> is removed, aptitude will remove it automatically on upgrade when it is
> marked as dependency installed ('A'). This is the big bonus of using
> aptitude instead of apt-get.

I would think so.  I can't see it being a big bonus that I have to go to a
(quite unintuitive) curses based interface instead of using the command-line
(apt-get) or GUI (kpackage) interfaces I'm used to, though.
--
derek