Re: What's the best way to safely remove kde apps?

On Monday 21 February 2005 14:30, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > You know, you are probably right, though I believe you actually can't
> > avoid installing it. IIRC arts is just a meta package for basic
> > components of arts. All these are already installed by either kdebase,
> > kdelibs or by dependancies further down the cascade. So you are stuck
> > with arts weither you like it or not.
>
> Well, no.  You can remove any of those packages and they in turn will
> remove kde-core (using apt-get or kpackage - if you use aptitude and it
> removes all a metapackage's dependencies, I can only say it's a pathetic
> excuse for a package manager - I tried it once and discovered it also
> ignores my package holds).  You do need all of those metapackage's
> immediate dependencies.

What are you trying to say here?

That aptitude is shit?

 - It's not, it rocks! And Aptitude keeps my holds. You must have been using
an old version that had some kind of bug. It hasn't always been as
predictable as it is now.

That arts is not a metapackage?

 - It says so on the first line of the package description, I checked..

That you don't get all of arts, with just kdebase and kdelibs?

 - Well I am not 100% sure, but I feel like I remember that after selecting
kdelibs and kdebase, also selecting arts will not install any further
packages, besides the arts metapackage.

> But for the purposes of the OP, if you want to get rid of, e.g., kteatime
> but keep kmoon, you _have_ to remove the metapackage kdetoys.

True.

Anders

--
 - Debian/Unstable - KDE 3.3.2 - KMail 1.7.2 -