Re: clicking on an html link opens it from /var/cache

On Sunday 20 February 2005 13:10, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Sunday 20 February 2005 12:26, John van Spaandonk wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recently I've been puzzled by the following problem.
> > When I click on a weblink in kmail konqueror pops up but opens the
> > file from the cache.
>
> this usually means that the command associated with file type text/html is
> missing the %u parameter.
> (This tells KDE that the application is able to handle URLs itself)
>
> If you use Konqueror as your browser and have not made any other changes
> for text/html, you could remove your local version of the respective
> association file and KDE will use the correct default version.
> The file should be .kde/share/minelnk/text/html.desktop
>
> > This also happens in Mozilla when I select in Konqueror Location-Open
> > with Mozilla and in some other occasions.
>
> Check if Mozilla's .desktop file contains the %u parameter.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Kevin,

Indeed I had a html.desktop file residing in kde/share/mimelnk/text,
and I deleted it as you said. Unfortunately it makes no difference.
I do not have a mozilla.desktop file in .kde/share/mimelnk/...

I'm not sure what you mean with the %u parameter. In what file should I
have to set this? If you can provide any pointers...

I found a bewildering amount of .desktop files in /usr/share/...
(using tools/find files in kde file manager).
I'm a bit confused about what to do now...

Opening a css file over ftp works allright, I do this all the time to
maintain my website.
I changed the .css association from quanta to kwrite (using open with / typing
kwrite / always open this kind of file with...) , because quanta keeps
(plus it loads a new instance of quanta each time I click on a file)

I _definitely_ had the (BR92134) problem of having
to associate a file with an application time and again.
New file association are not honoured by the system, but not in all cases.
In my case I had it with trying to make a file open with kaffeine by default.

I think I may have caused the mentioned .html problem myself by using
"open file with" and then selecting kwrite for css and xml and also doing
something like this for other file extensions.

Now Konqueror also doesn't open the .xml help files of my mambo
CMS. So I have to use Mozilla for that...

I can see a css.desktop file in kde/share/minelnk/text

It says
[Desktop Entry]
X-KDE-AutoEmbed=false

I'm a bit confused here...

Thanks for your reactions and any help with this...

John