Re: Kleopatra KMail S/MIME gpgsm, what's going on?

Am Freitag, 11. Februar 2005 18:23 schrieb Matej Cepl:
> Anders Ellensh?j Andersen wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 February 2005 21:56, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> >> Either you take kleopatra out of Sarge because it's uninstallable or you
> >> live with the external repository.
> >
> > Taking it out makes most sence if those where the alternatives. Doesn't
> > the release version of gnupg include the required functionallity?
> > Couldn't those packages be modified to work together?
>
> NO, NO, NO!!! PLEASE, DO NOT TAKE KLEOPATRA BACK!!! I LOVE HER!!
>
> OK, stop shouting. Without Kleopatra (and GNUPG2), there is no support of
> S/MIME in KMail.

What does kleopatra without gpgsm?

> I accept that the current solution is bad one, but I would
> much prefer releasing into Debian unreleased GNUPG2, which would be later
> (sometimes) conflicted and removed by then released standard gnupg.

However, gnupg is a security related software. If the gnupg upstream
maintainers think that it's tested enough for wide usage (and including in
Debian _is_ just that), why is it considered ALPHA-grade?:
ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/alpha/gnupg/

Unless gpgsm is in Sarge, kleopatra should not be in Sarge. Maybe the source
for it can be split so that it can be easily served by an external
repository?
OTOH, if gnupg-1.9 has security-related bugs, it would be replace by
gnupg >= 2.0? We could also end up with an incompatible thing that noone
really wants...

HS