kdelinks to commands don't work

A while ago my kde settings messed themselves up spontaneously, especially
kmail, which I was able to rectify using a backup. Now I have a further
problem:

I used to be able to right click on the desktop and create a link to a
command, simply by entering the command in the box given and under further
options, chose "open in terminal" and also add --noclose. This way I was able
to start the command in a new konsole, which remained open in order to view
the results.

This no longer works and trying all sorts of things like various different
commands and specifying paths doesn't help. There is no error message, the
cursor just animates and doesn't do anything. What does still work is using a
graphic command, e.g. kdf.

Anybody know this problem or know an answer?

Theo Schmidt