Re: Dependency problems with Sound.

Tim Folger wrote:
On Monday 17 January 2005 06:44 am, Alan Chandler wrote:

Its probably my fault for using the kde packages from

http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.3.2 ./

BUT ...

system notifications which were ogg files would not play, so I am
attempting to do an upgrade of my debian unstable system.

There seems to be a new "libflac6" attempting to be installed,
which k3b needs, and which conflicts with libflac4.  This conflict
is attempting to remove libflac4 and most of kde-multimedia.

Any way round this?
--
Alan Chandler

I had exactly the same problem. I finally solved it by manually installing the kde-multimedia upgrade (apt-get update, then apt-get install kde-multimedia). After that I was able to install the remaining upgrades with the normal apt-get upgrade command without removing all of kde. Once all the upgrades were installed, I had to delete two files (knotify.eventsrc and knotifyrc) from ~/.kde/share/config. When I restarted kde I had system sounds back as a normal user. I hope this works for you, too.

I'm still having this problem, even after getting the latest updates installed. It seems libflac and libvorbis are being held out due to a dependency problem with packages (akode, juk, kaudiocreator, kdemultimedia-kio-plugins) in kdemultimedia. But, the maintainers announced the new versions on Jan 13. Have they appeared in your mirror yet? Which mirror are you using? I've tried ftp.au, ftp,de, ftp.us so far, with no updates when I do apt-get install kdemultimedia.

paul