Re: KDE Update

Anders

Thanks for this...

> Two ways of doing that are:
> Start aptitude as root, and press u.
> When it is done fetching the list of packages, you can get the
> upgrades by either:
> Iin aptitude press shift-u and then g

Apt-get wouldn't do anything sensible and so I decided to go with
aptitude.  Did this last night before wandering off to slumber land.
Came back this morning.

What I found was that aptitude told me that the software had been
downloaded.  It was asking me to hit OK to install it.  Did that
whilst having my breakfast.  Took an hour for everything to install.
Part way through this happened......

Unpacking replacement ecasound2.2 ...
Selecting previously deselected package ecasound.
Unpacking ecasound (from .../ecasound_2.3.5-6_i386.deb) ...
 /var/cache/apt/archives/ggz-kde-game-data_0.0.7-2.1_all.deb
Ack!  Something bad happened while installing packages.  Trying to
recover:
Setting up mdnsresponder (0.9.8-2) ...
Starting Zeroconf service discovery responder: mDNSResponder.
Setting up libhowl0 (0.9.8-2) ...
and..
Setting up gnome (62) ...
 ggz-kde-games
Press return to continue.

Hit return and continued.    At the end of installation I decided to
reboot the workstation to see what happened next.  Machine booted and
when KDM was due to start it just stayed with the black screen and
command line.  Much hacking - about four hours of it - revealed that
the xserver-common 4.3 file had been removed by aptitude part way
through the night without my knowledge.  'apt-get install
xserver-common'  put the X windows system back in again.  Typed in
'kdm' as root.  KDM started.   Tried to login.  Found out at this
point that KDE wasn't installed at all.  In spite of the fact that
aptitude said it was.  Gnome was updated and installed.  No problem
there.

'apt-get kde' finally sorted everything out and I am now using Kmail
1.7.1 to send mail to this list.

Thanks to all of the developers for producing KDE 3.3.1 for Debian
Sarge.  It's great software.  Will look forward to more of it.

Kind regards

--
Richard

www.sheflug.co.uk