Re: Debian bugreports

On Sunday 09 January 2005 19:39, Ricardo Galli wrote:

>> system like bugzilla. The main advantage in this case would be
>> acountability. Each reporter must have an acount which must be kept up
>
>It does.

Presumably you mean my email address? What if I change my email address? I
have done this and forgot about my old bugs. In the end I could have bugs in
there from any number of email adresses. There is no (easy..) way to change
the reporter email address for a lot of bugs simultaneously.

 What if I want automatic notification when additional info is added to a
particular bug report? Any report, not just my own, like when it is closed?

 Perhaps it is possible to be added as a cc target with the bug tracking
system. I don't know the system is not really too informative. On the other
hand with http://bugs.kde.org, I just vote for a bug or add my self to the cc
list on the bugs homepage.

> > to date. If the reporter goes away and it is not possible to confirm
> > the bug, then it should just be closed. The way it is now, any random
>
> It does.

Please.. If this was the case, probably you could cut back the bug count by
20%-50%. I have added additional info to a number of bugs, and it has been
totally ignored unless the case was that it was my own report and a recent
one.

And developers do give up on fixing bugs in their packages. It's tough, but
it's a fact of life. People should be at least encouraged, if not required,
to report certain types of bugs upstream, since reporting them to the debian
developers is just useless. Many of them don't have a clue how the
application they a packaging works, they just compile it and package it for
Debian.

> > user can file bugs and just forget about them afterwards. He is never
> > held responsible for following up on his report, and in fact it is a
> > bit difficult to even locate your own bug reports in the system.
>
> And also you can report/query bugs from the web or with reportbug.

But it's ugly and not exactly user friendly compared to modern systems. It
needs some way of prioritising errors, like a voting system. Can you tell I
just love http://bugs.kde.org ?

Anders