Re: java plug-in (sablevm)

Am Donnerstag, 6. Januar 2005 14:23 schrieb Daniel Serpell:
> Hi!
>
> El Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:42:54AM +0100, Michael Koch escribio:
> > Am Donnerstag, 6. Januar 2005 11:35 schrieb Anders Ellenshøj
Andersen:

> > > It's in unstable. And I seem to remember that it is in fact the
> > > recommended free jvm for Debian.
> >
> > Where have you read this ? As a free java developer and part of
> > the Debian Java effort I would recommend kaffe.
>
> ~$ apt-cache show free-java-sdk
> Package: free-java-sdk
> [...]
> Depends: jikes-sablevm, fastjar, sablevm, classpath-tools
> [...]
> tools
>
> So, at least the existance of this package seems to imply this :-)

It's maintainer is the same as the maintainer as for sablevm. (Hi
Gadek ;-)). When I would have made such a package I would have used
jamvm as I'm it's maintainer in Debian.

free-java-sdk provides some of the stuff kaffe provides too but I
would always use kaffe because its more complete.

I still don't think this is a well choosen name. "Java" is a trademark
by SUN. And we are not allowed to call it "Java" when we don't verify
we are compatible to SUN (which currently costs much money).

Michael
--
Homepage: http://www.worldforge.org/