Re: problems with nsswitch.conf and KDM

also sprach Andy Parkins <andyp@leaseline.plus.com> [2004.10.30.1814 +0200]:
>  * your PAM settings

PAM has nothing to do with the list of users in kdm. PAM only
authenticates. It cannot list.

>  * nscd

I used that for a while but it's crap. Come over to debian-isp,
where nscd has been the topic of a thread for the past week.

> will make your problem go away.  nscd acts as a nice
> root-priviliged buffer between getpwnam() calls and ldap.  With
> nscd not running normal users are unable to do lookups ("getent
> passwd" will confirm), but once nscd is running everthing seems to
> be hunky dory.

nscd is not an option.

Instead, I would like KDM to use libnss properly, and not some
antiquated getgr* calls.

> auth	sufficient	pam_ldap.so
> auth	required	pam_unix.so try_first_pass

I'd use use_first_pass instead. Don't disclose information!

`. `'`