Re: KDE-problem

Hi Nick,

[This is a re-send; I set the To header incorrectly on that last message---if
you reply, please reply to this one.]

[I'm moving this conversation to the debian-kde mailing list, as that is a
better place for it.]

On Saturday 16 October 2004 04:57 am, nick legroe wrote:
> Now the problem is the following. When booted and showing the login screen,
> I can login using gnome with no problems but when I choose for KDE, and
> giving the correct login name and password. I see a little screen where he
> loads something. the first 2 icons get loaded witout any problem but when
> he comes to initializing peripherials then it just crashes back to the
> login screen.

If you have any lines in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file like the following,
try commenting them out, or deleting them:

        Option          "DPMS"

Back when I used the version of X11 that is in woody (long, long ago), I had
the same problem, which as far as I can tell, was caused by buggy video
drivers that caused a crash when an application tried to enable "Display
Power Management Signaling" features.  Disabling this prevented further
crashes for me.

Cheers,
nate

--