Problem with mc in KDE / question about locale

hi!

i've a question concerning the look of mc. when i run it outside the KDE it looks just fine but in KDE e.g. the vertical lines are not lines but are replaced by some symbols like squares and menu looks terrible... This also repeats in RHIDE. but in it also outside X system the menu, scrollbar and bars around source code look awful. i don't have my Radeon 9200 set properly yet (i'm new and i need some time to do it ;) ) - but i have Radeon generic instead which works. i don't think, however, that the graphic card is the problem here, is it? Rhide and mc don't use much graphics...

And the second question concerns setting my national signs in linux (polish). Do you happen to know where locale settings are being kept? because i've several different local signs available and the default now is POSIX, while i need to set pl_PL which is in the locale's config file but this set is not used. It should look like that :
$ locale
LANG=pl_PL
LC_CTYPE="pl_PL"
LC_NUMERIC="pl_PL"